Wednesday, 18 November 2020

This Is An Easy Shelf Section

This Is An Easy Shelf Section





This was the main reason for my Moab trip. I've been wanting to drive this trail for years. Unfortunately, I couldn't drive the entire trail due to a huge washout that happened a few weeks before my trip. The NPS web site shows photos of house-sized boulders that crashed down upon the switchbacks at Mineral Bottom. I left Moab before sunrise and that gave me some nice long shadows by the time I reached some scenic parts. Below is the Colorado River. This is an easy shelf section. It'd be scary if the road was wet and slippery. The trail alternates between mild dirt road with embedded rocks and very rugged road almost entirely of embedded rocks. The later sections were rough enough that I had to drive very slowly (slower than walking speed). I'm sure a lifted Jeep could drive faster on those sections. My Land Rover's suspension isn't as pleasant over very rugged terrain, so I have to go slow. Specifically: the suspension is soft, so therefore it bounces a lot when driving over boulders, and so I hit and scrape more boulders that way. On the flip-side, highway driving is very smooth. 2 in Massey's book (rated 4). I actually got bored on this trail. While knowing that each mile offered great views, they were all almost the same view. So I wasn't sad to turn around and head back.





According to the website author (Ann Jones), this was a lengthy process of recording the website on a floppy disk and posting it to the USA. It would then be copied onto the site - a few updates got lost, misdated but the concept of live internet updates was on the edge of the internet. I was intrigued by the sites ability to keep relatively updated and so began the process of documenting my first overland trip in a 1968 Series II Land Rover. See 鈥楾o Africa and beyond鈥?for the website. Over the next few years, I started collecting and receiving links from other overlanders. In September 2000 I launched The Africa Overland Network - a site dedicated to independent overland trips. Primarily privately funded these websites offers diary updates, photos, GPS coordinates and embassy visa information and as internet access has increased video clips. Information on the websites range from single line entries to paragraphs of useful, and sometimes useless information.





Oddly Range Rover drivers seem to have issues with snow and ice? Range Rover in a ditch but a Discovery sails by. I live in a rural area where most, probably 80% of the 4x4 are used for work with the other 20% being used as daily drives, with possible bad weather in mind. They are not all large 4x4鈥檚 some are just saloon 4x4鈥檚. they are practical everyday transport. We don't have buses and trains to get on out here, well buses maybe once an hour from Horsham to Brighton for 12 hours a day. Older diesel cars will run quite happily on vegetable oil or waste oils, grown from the soil powered by sunlight. Older diesels can recycle and use fuels moder cars cannot. Land Rover believes over 75% of all defenders ever made are still in service. From an Eco point of view this is a massive point to take on board. Most of the world鈥檚 natural resources are used making a car not running them.





You鈥檒l probably feel the saw teeth one way while the other will be smooth. Pre 1998 4.0 engines are prone to develop carbon buildup on the exhaust valve stems. Symptoms are intermittent missing or staggering of the engine, usually on long drives and at high speed. Frequently a check engine light is seen with random misfire codes and specific cylinder misfire codes. 2) from American Rovers about fixing this problem. Avoid picking these trucks up on wheel free lifts. Doing so can separate an airbag or damage a sensor, both of which will require a visit to the shop. To remove tires jack up or lift under the axles. 1999 and newer trucks with Bosch electronics are much better than any previous Range Rover product. Read how our CustomFind Service can buy you a New Range Rover. Most of the 1997-1999 Discoveries on the used market today are third-owner trucks. Most were leased for two to three years, bought by a second owner, and they are now offered to you.





The Evoque Landmark isn't cheap, but it is well equipped and very stylish. Plus, as with every Range Rover Evoque, all-wheel drive is standard; most of its rivals in this segment make that an optional extra. Likes: Smooth-running turbo engine, cool pop-up rotary shifter, feels more substantial than the competition. Dislikes: Firm ride, mediocre braking performance. Turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder engines are the norm in this class, and the 2019 Evoque's standard unit churns out 237 horsepower; a more powerful version is optional and makes 286 horsepower. A nine-speed automatic transmission handles gearchanges; you select gears using a rotary shift knob that pops up from the center console when you start the engine. Fans of larger SUVs and crossovers, ironically, will feel at home in the smaller Evoque. It manages to drive like a much larger vehicle thanks to slow steering that, while accurate, requires more input from the driver to change directions than sportier offerings such as the Mercedes-Benz GLA-class and the BMW X1.